Overview of Article Topics
Elephant Rock at Valley of Fire
Elephant Rock at Valley of Fire Overview
Elephant Rock and an arch formation that resembles an elephant, hence the name. It can be easily seen by the road on a drive by or you can park at the parking lot and “hike” to the bottom of the sandstone formation.
Elephant Rock Hike Information and Stats
- Route Type: Out and Back
- Distance: 0.3 miles if out and back, 1.2 miles if you do the loop
- Elevation Gain: ~50′
- Hiking Time: 15 – 30 minutes
- Difficulty: Easy
Getting to Elephant Rock
- Coordinates: 36.4289, -114.458175 (36° 25′ 44.03″N 114° 27′ 29.42″W)
- Directions: Coming from Las Vegas, take Interstate 15 north for about 35 miles to exit 75 (signs for Valley of Fire State Park and Lake Mead National Recreation Area). At the end of the offramp, proceed southeast on Valley of Fire Highway. Pass through the park’s West entrance after 14.5 miles and drive another 6.8 miles through the park to the trailhead on the left just before the park’s East entrance. You can also access Elephant Rock by the East entrance, which will be immediately on your right as you pass the park entrance booth.
- Parking: Parking is limited and it is recommended to park in the nearby parking lot and take the 1/3 of a mile trail to reach the Elephant Rock formation.
- Fees: $10 Valley of Fire State Park fee (Click here to read about Valley of Fire Entrance Fee options)
What to Take on Your Hike to Elephant Rock
Again, this is really not a hike but more of a casual stroll unless you do the loop. Whichever route you take you should take a camera to capture this unusual rock formation and water, especially during the warmer temperatures.
Other Information About Elephant Rock
- Restrooms: Vault restrooms at the parking lot
- Cellular Service: Unknown at this time
- Kid Friendly: Yes
- Dog-Friendly: Yes but must be kept on a leash outside of the car.
Valley of Fire Resources
- Valley of Fire State Park
- Valley of Fire Visitors Center
- Valley of Fire Entrance Fee
- Atlatl Rock at the Valley of Fire
- Beehives at the Valley of Fire
- John J. Clark Memorial
- Lone Rock at the Valley of Fire
- Poodle Rock at the Valley of Fire
- Seven Sisters at the Valley of Fire
- The Cabins at the Valley of the Fire
- Valley of Fire Group Campground
- Arch Rock Campground
- Atlatl Rock Campground
- Nevada Wildlife
Elephant Rock at Valley of Fire Photos