This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser.
All opinions are mine alone.
Part of our children owning their own car is to understand how to take care of it and an oil change is very important to maintain the health of a car.
While it’s easy to drive your car to the closest place and pay someone to do this for you, we believe that they need to know how to do it so they can make the choice to save money and do it themselves or to hire someone to do it for them.
Below is our “how to” that we used for our kids to help them learn how to change the oil in their new truck.
MAINTENANCE GUIDE: Read the maintenance guide or the guide provided at the store to know which oil is needed for your automobile.
VALUE: Since our kids pay for all their own maintenance for the care of their car, they want to make sure they are getting the best price so we shopped at Walmart to purchase the items needed for this oil change.
OIL SELECTION: Your automobile is the normally your second most expensive investment behind buying a home. Treat your investment with care by selecting a quality oil. Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic motor oil is a high-quality oil that has been specially designed to give your engine complete protection.
PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT: Be sure to watch for oil spills. When you are done with your oil change pour the oil into the containers and take to your closest recycling center. (Be sure to read their rules on how to package and deliver.)
NOTE: Watch out when removing the oil filter as you can see if you are not prepared you may get some of the residual oil leak on you when you remove it. Having a plastic drape on the ground and containers in position will help avoid an oil spill.
Below is our check list and guide to change your own oil. (Click here to print a downloadable .pdf version to use with your family when changing your oil at home.)
- Safety stands
- Owner’s manual
- Wrench to remove oil plug
- Drain pan
- Plastic drape
- Oil filter
- Oil filter wrench
- Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic motor oil
QUICK HOW TO
- Consult your owner’s manual or product guide at the store for the type and amount of oil needed
- Use safety measures such as setting the emergency brakes, safety stands, etc.
- Use proper size wrench to remove oil plug and drain oil into container
- Remove oil filter, drain it, and replace with new filter
- When all oil is drained, replace drain plug seal and put the oil plug back in
- Remove oil cap and pour new Pennzoil oil
- Return oil cap, start the vehicle and inspect under the car for any leaks turn off
- Pull dipstick out and wipe it off, reinsert and pull out again check level
- Safely dispose of used oil
Do you change your own oil at home or do you pay a service to do it for you?
Please use standard safety procedures when changing your oil.
You should always refer to your own car’s manual before changing your oil.
Leave a Reply